SkillsUSA Competes at Regionals

From late January to early February, Keppel’s SkillsUSA team participated in their annual regional competition against other high schools in the area.  Students participated in competitive events including 20 Second Elevator Story, Cabinet Making, Medical Math, Technical Drafting, and other Career and Technical Education subjects.  In preparation, the district held a woodworking competition for the students competing in that sector, which allowed them to get extra training before the SkillsUSA competition.

Twenty-seven competitors from Keppel qualified for their upcoming state competition in Ontario, California, of which 11 students placed top three in their events. The state competition will take place over the course of four days: April 21 – 24.

During the 2020 – 2021 school year, a proper in-person competition was not possible due to COVID-19 restrictions. CTE teacher and SkillsUSA advisor Mr. Paul Lam states, “they built with hand tools at home… I think it was more or less the same in our regional competition so it was kind of a hybrid between in-person at school, where they built with the machines, and they did an online interview with the judges.”

Junior Introductory Woodworking competitor Derrick Xu states, “[I am] still trying to get over the fact that I made it to state.  My plan is to just improve my skills, practicing the craft, studying previous projects to get an idea of what I might have to do and learn more about woodworking in general.”

Moving forward, Lam continues to push for more leadership competitions in addition to their current selection.  “A lot of people think that SkillsUSA only has the technical skills, the culinary, the wood, the auto and all that. But there are a lot of leadership competitions too.”

Congratulations to the students who advanced to the state competition.

Competition
Student and Placement (if applicable)
20 Second Elevator Story Sophia Duong (Gold)

Rehan Arman

Cabinetmaking Chris Tse (Silver)

Kyle Le (Bronze)

Bryant Deng

Matthew Chuang

Culinary Arts Derek Medina (Gold)

Qiyu (Ashley) He

Introductory Advertising Design Jiayi Han
Introductory Drafting Emily Tran (Silver)

Anna Lin (Bronze)

Hayley Yang

Alexa (Nico) Elizondo

Introductory Woodworking Derrick Xu (Bronze)

Nicholas Lai

Ryan Lin

Job Interview Carina Tan
Medical Math Jolie Lau (Silver)

Ana Grajeda-Ramirez

Medical Terminology Trisha Buranabul

Sophia Jorge

Prepared Speech Neza Chow
Technical Design Ethan Liu
Technical Drafting Johnny Jue (Gold)

Suchana Sabiha

Web Design David Dong (Silver)

Camilla Chan (Silver)