Pandemic Brings Increase in Mental Health Advocacy Clubs

As Mark Keppel’s school year begins, there has been an increase in the number of mental health and advocacy clubs on campus. Advocacy clubs are clubs formed to fight for certain rights for students and provide support o specific communities. Before 2020, there were only three advocacy clubs on the Keppel campus, including the MKHS GSA club which is run by President Meily Tran and Vice President Catherine Peng. During the last eight years, there has been a slight increase in advocacy groups, but the pandemic has resulted in a sharp upturn of students and teachers forming nine new advocacy clubs.
Mental Health Awareness, led by junior Lindsey Tran, is one of the new clubs on the rise with the purpose of spreading awareness of mental health illnesses and stressing the importance of a healthy mindset. “I started this club because as a high school student affected by quarantine, I knew that other students were probably going through the same thing as me,” says Tran. “Also, because mental health is a stigma in the Asian community, I wanted to create a safe space where we can educate ourselves and support others, especially during these despairing times.” The club spreads awareness about mental health and illness, as well as its effects. MHA also emphasizes the importance of maintaining a healthy mindset and provides a safe and non-judgmental environment for self-expression.

I wanted to create a safe space where we can educate ourselves and support others

— Lindsey Tran, MKHS Junior

Junior Madison Jou formed the Active Minds recently at MKHS during the beginning months of quarantine. Jou has a driving passion for mental health and she understands that it is a broad and important topic. Throughout her years at high school, Jou felt disheartened after hearing many of the heartbreaking things people would say about themselves. Jou found out that not a lot of people knew much about what mental health is, so she wanted to get people together to talk about their mental health and share what they have been going through. Jou hopes to bring up more conversations about mental health and help students feel safe in their environment.
With the ongoing quarantine, it is safe to say that these clubs will positively impact students’ lives and their mental health. These advocacy clubs are a safe haven for those who need someone to talk to and even learn about new things. Even when the pandemic comes to a close, these clubs will continue to help students in their following years at Mark Keppel.