Class of 2021’s graduation ceremony will be at the Rose Bowl

Katie Phan and Elisa Cho, Staff Writers

This year’s graduation for the Class of 2021 will be held at the Rose Bowl Stadium on Thursday May 27, 2021 at 6 PM. Mark Keppel High School, along with the other high schools in the Alhambra Unified School District, will have their graduation held there where each senior graduating is permitted four tickets. Senior Kristin Chang says, “I never thought that I would be graduating in person this year, but I am really excited that we are able to.”

I never thought that I would be graduating in person this year, but I am really excited that we are able to.”

— Kristin Chang

Similar to the school’s traditional graduation ceremony that is normally held at East Los Angeles College, the band and orchestra will still be performing live under the direction of Justin Lee. However, choir’s performance will be shown as a recording due to the district’s guidelines. Madison Wong, a choir council member voiced her thoughts, stating, “Unfortunately the Rose Bowl decided choir, which I’m in, won’t get to perform in-person with the band and orchestra. I’m really bummed about it, but a bunch of the choir students (mainly seniors) will be recording a video that they will play during the ceremony, which is better than nothing.” 

The band and orchestra have been attending in person rehearsals after school hours to prepare for the big day. Members of drumline who are also performing a piece have also been practicing during in person learning which is from 1:30-3:30, and during their graduation rehearsals from 4-6. The Aztec Band and Color Guard president, Calvin Nguyen said, “I am really glad that we were continuing some traditions for graduation like musical performances to make it feel normal. Rehearsals for the performances have been going pretty well and it is really nice seeing everyone again. The musical performance will be great as usual from band and orchestra.”

I am really glad that we were continuing some traditions for graduation like musical performances to make it feel normal.”

— Calvin Nguyen

“As a four year member of Orchestra, I always looked forward to graduation since it was the last time I got to play with everyone. I was sad when I first heard that graduation may be canceled, but I’m glad that we’re able to play together again! I’m also glad that we’re able to play alongside the band, and while choir won’t be there live, I’m looking forward to their recorded performance.” said Kathryn Phan, orchestra president.

Seniors as well as the guests attending the ceremony will have to follow strict guidelines that are provided by the Rose Bowl Stadium and the district. That includes all graduates not being able to bring their cell phones into the stadium, and no cap or gown decorations of any kind. More information on this can be found on the school website. Although there are limited spots available to attend the graduation ceremony. Those who are not able to join will be able to watch the ceremony live from the comforts of their homes.