New Schedule, Bop or Flop? Op-Ed

Emily Wang and Audrey Segura

Emily’s Opinion

During the 2021-2022 school year, Mark Keppel High School operated on a block schedule system. Now, part way through the ‘22-’23 year, it feels like a complete change. Since the announcement of the new bell schedule, a hybrid between block and regular with a shorter day on Monday, it has received  a lot of criticism. This change left students divided on the issue. Some defending the new schedule, praising it for incorporating both systems, and others ridiculing it for its confusing back and forth nature and uneven timings.

During last year, students were given the time to learn more information and complete more assignments due to the 2 hour block classes. Compared to last year’s schedule, classes now feel rushed because of the stunted class times. For teachers who are still not used to shorter class times, they attempt to rush through lesson plans, making it harder for students to follow along.  

With collaboration days moving to Monday, students are given shorter periods following the weekend. Reception to this change has been mixed at best, with some students asking for the shorter classes to return to Wednesday, breaking up the monotony of the week. This would however, require a change to the current schedule, splitting block schedule days. More ideally, collaboration would move to Friday, giving students an early release time before the weekend, something students have advocated for in the past. This would be unlikely to happen however, as collaboration is used for teachers to have meetings, and having them at the end of the week seems pointless. 

With the introduction of Powertime to Tuesday and Wednesday block schedules, students are given the time to meet with their teachers. The early reception to Powertime was mixed, as the website to schedule Powertime was riddled with bugs and errors. Students also didn’t find it useful since workloads were lesser in August. Since then, Powertime has become an integral part of some student’s schedules. It gives them time during school to dedicate to finish homework, catch up on a good book, complete tests they may have missed, or even just time to relax quietly after lunch. 

This schedule has changed the dynamic of Mark Keppel High School. It has taken a while for students and teachers to get used to this change, and it continues to affect students even now. With collaboration on Monday the week feels like it drags on, especially with the inconsistent class times. Powertime has helped many students but it still leaves room to wonder if Powertime would have been necessary if Block Schedule was still enforced.

Audrey’s Opinion

Last year, there was just the block schedule with Wednesday being a collaboration day. With the new schedule, there are many mixed opinions about it, especially since it was very confusing starting out. Freshmen and Sophomores are new to the school, and are barely getting used to the bustling high school environment. 

Some students say that, compared to last year, this new year’s schedule is actually really enjoyable. Being in a class for too long was getting repetitive and very boring, and made kids more tempted to use their phones during class. Some students hated the block schedule and couldn’t wait to go outside for the mask break. But now, with the new bell schedule, it allows students to get up and get their body moving on some days, and actually have a full class experience on others. 

Collaboration days on Mondays are a great addition to this year’s schedule as well. When coming back to school after a short weekend, it is great to start the school week with a short day. It is also beneficial when having a holiday on a Monday. This is because nothing is usually missed due to the short day.

In addition, Powertime is a great addition to the block schedule as well. It allows students who are having a hard time in a certain class to see the teacher during school in order to receive the extra help that they need. This also gives students the opportunity to take a transitional break after lunch before heading to their last class of the day. They are allowed to socialize with friends/peers, read, catch up on sleep, or just have fun. 

Overall, although this new schedule has mixed feelings from multiple people, personally, it gives great opportunities to students regarding Powertime and Collaboration days.