The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Senior Sunset

Megan Garibay and Mallory Boncacas showing off their senior sunset shirts

As we finish April, and begin to slip into May, we have entered the closing season of this school year at last. While that does mean the end of beginnings for some, and a new era for others, the seniors who have been at Mark Keppel for a few moons longer than the rest of the students, who never got the culmination from middle school to high school they deserved, the class of 24– will be departing from us shortly, bringing new beginnings to themselves in their adult lives.

This closing season of the 2023-2024 school year begins with the senior sunset. To complement the senior sunrise held at the beginning of this school year that brought shine onto the rise of these seniors, this ecstatic event marks the setting of the sun that is these seniors’ careers. Although in previous years, this fun activity has been held at Barnes Park, this year it was held within Keppel at the football field, where all seniors of this class were invited to bring snacks and picnic blankets to watch the sun gleam as it sets. 

Seniors were also able to collect a free special senior sunset class of 2024 tee, white and blank to leave room for those who may want to sign them, or even leave little messages to their peers. As they will soon be off, some even to college, this was a great opportunity for them to leave their tokens of farewell or friendship with each other in the forms of HAGS, HAGL and more written in thick colored sharpies. Congratulations on making it this far, Class of 2024!