The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Brand New iOS 17

Apple has released the anticipated iOS 17 update, bringing a range of new features and updates that will impact everyday life for iPhone users.

One new feature that this iOS update brings is the StandBy mode. When your phone is charging on its side, this new feature will display information on the lock screen. It can display time, music, weather, reminders, and other useful widgets without needing to unlock your phone to open apps. 

There are significant improvements for iMessage. The new “Catch-Up” arrow takes you directly to the first unread message in a conversation. They also added a new feature that will let users now easily share and display their location within a single touch. Voice messages also received an upgrade and will now be automatically transcribed allowing users to read them in the moment and listen later. 

New features for FaceTime allow users to record a video or audio message when calls are missed. Additionally, FaceTime calls can be made on Apple TV directly from the FaceTime app.

Another additional feature of iOS 17 is the NameDrop feature that allows users to share their contacts or email addresses through AirDrop, allowing for an effortless transfer by simply holding two iPhones next to each other. Another feature enables users to AirDrop over the internet, allowing content to be shared even out of the AirDrop range. Using the same technology as AirDrop, users can now use SharePlay allowing multiple people to enjoy videos, music, and games. 

A more subtle change is with Siri voice activation. Users can now simply say “Siri” instead of “Hey Siri” to summon the virtual assistant.

While this may seem beneficial to every iPhone user, the new iOS update will only be available for the iPhone 11 and later.