The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Sunshine Powers MKHS

Just spawned in solar panels

Mark Keppel has taken its first steps toward clean energy by beginning construction on solar panels this summer. Solar panel construction at Mark Keppel is expected to finish by the end of September 2023 and the system is anticipated to be connected to the power grid by the end of January 2024. By the time construction is finished, Mark Keppel will have 2,064 solar panels, generating up to 1.1 megawatts of clean power.
In an interview with the Alhambra Unified School District’s (AUSD) Assistant Superintendent, Josephine Quach, she said the district chose to switch to solar panels in order to reduce the electric bill and save money as well as provide shade for students and staff. AUSD first began exploring the possibility of solar panels in 2018 and thoroughly investigated several sites for their electric needs and the best location to place the system. After investigating Keppel, they chose to use ground-mounted solar panels, placing them in the cafeteria and parking lot behind it, which helped avoid the costs of modifying the roofs to hold the solar panels.
Fortunately, AUSD was able to enter a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Luminace, an organization dedicated towards providing clean energy and decarbonization solutions at an affordable price. Under the PPA, Luminace owns and maintains the solar panels and AUSD pays them for the electricity generated by the solar panels at a defined electricity rate.
Overall, benefits of constructing solar panels include saving money on electricity, reducing our ecological footprint, and a more reliable power system. But, these solar panels are more than just an improvement for our school; they are a chance for us to improve our community as well. The solar panels will increase exposure in our community to renewable energy technology and encourage people to learn about the environmental benefits of clean energy. Reducing our ecological footprint is more important than ever because if we don’t make the change today, we might not be able to tomorrow.

View Comments (2)