Mandatory Kindergarten: Absent from California

On September 25, 2022, California Governor Gavin Newsom vetoed Senate Bill 70 which would have made kindergarten a mandatory component of public education, citing it to be too expensive for California’s budget to accommodate over 20,000 kids. The bill had passed both houses of the California legislature with bipartisan support but was opposed by many parents and educators who contend that 4-year-olds are developmentally not ready for school. The issue of compulsory kindergarten has always been highly contentious, and this measure absolutely dashed the hopes of kids who want to attend kindergarten yet don’t have the opportunity to. The significance of kindergarten cannot be understated because, if children who need it aren’t supported, such as those from underprivileged households, they will not be adequately prepared for what lies ahead. Kindergarten may be viewed as no different from 1st grade, but it concentrates on teaching students the skills most essential in life. Without it, children would struggle to advance to the next level both academically and emotionally. 

While the author’s intent is laudable, SB 70 is estimated to have Prop. 98 General Fund cost impacts of up to $268 million ongoing, which is not currently accounted for in the state’s fiscal plan.” Senate bill 70, which required kindergarten attendance before attending first grade, was vetoed by Gavin Newsom. This legislation was brought up primarily due to evidence showing a sharp decline in kindergarten enrollment, particularly following the pandemic. “Kindergarten enrollment in California dropped nearly 12% in the 2020-21 academic year compared to the previous year,” says the state Department of Education. Drops in enrollment rates were observed not only in California, but also nationally, as a nationwide survey conducted by Brookings revealed that “60 districts in 20 states showed an average kindergarten enrollment drop of 16%. Another analysis, this one from 33 states, showed that roughly 30% of all K-12 enrollment declines were attributable to kindergarten.” Some may have been enrolled in distance learning, but parents seem to be concerned about this matter because younger kids need more parental guidance and have shorter attention spans when staring at a screen. Parents are not always able to attempt and teach their kids what they need to know while earning money, especially for those coming from low-income families. Therefore, making kindergarten compulsory will assist parents in coping with the demands and obligations that have been built upon them. 

“Over the years, lawmakers have launched various attempts to mandate kindergarten but these pushes have been countered by those who point out that it would be expensive to do so and that many parents wish to make the choice for themselves,” says EdSource. The cost of supporting all the institutions is the main point of contention in this matter. Many schools and states are unprepared and do not currently have financial support strategies in place. The cost of making kindergarten compulsory is an issue, but the point is: what about the cost of trying to get those caught up who missed kindergarten? 

Contrarily, rather than debating over costs, California Matters emphasizes that “Learning through play is so important for brain development and social emotional development.” If children miss kindergarten, first grade will undoubtedly be less enjoyable for the instructor or the children’s development. While teaching additional material to students who already know the fundamentals, teachers will also need to develop methods for catching other students up. “Our teachers are struggling tremendously. I think the best way we can support them is having students go up the grade levels being prepared,” Rubio said. School staff would benefit if kids did not skip any grade levels, especially kindergarten, as the academic gap would only widen as they progress through the grades. The Declaration of Independence has also stated that “Everyone has the right to education…Education shall be compulsory.” 

Ultimately, the veto utterly disregarded the education of kids from underprivileged households. This debate over whether it was reasonable to veto a law that would have made kindergarten mandatory or approve it shouldn’t have taken place because it should have been required from the start. The cost of making kindergarten mandatory in the state is substantial, but as stated in the Declaration of Independence, “Education shall be compulsory,” therefore children’s education should always take precedence. Beginning in 2024-2025, Senate Bill 70, which mandates kindergarten, will come into force.