Dealing With the Loss of Sports During Covid

Joneshan Ng, Priscilla Nhan, Elisa Cho, Clinton Ma, The Aztec Reporters

At the start of the Covid-19 lockdown, everyone was aware that to continue school, we would have to rely on online resources such as Google Classroom and Zoom to continue our school experience. However, many aspects of school were unable to transition with distance learning, including sports.
Sports have always been and will continue to be one of the primary reasons that students are motivated to go to school but now Covid has changed many sports programs.
“Therefore, the current guidance remains in effect, and CIF competitions are not allowed until new guidance has been provided”, says an official statement from the official CIF Instagram page.

I run twice a week and lift weights to get in shape to prepare for a season.

— Thomas Do, MKHS Senior

Not only are student athletes disappointed, but many coaches are as well. “Covid has not only affected our team, it has affected the way people live in the world. No one would have thought that we would be in the situation so we never prepared for anything like this,” said Mr. Herrera, one of Mark Keppel’s basketball coaches. Despite their anger, the coaches are trying their hardest to do as much as they can to aid their students.
“Covid made me think of solutions on what to do to keep in shape. For example, I run twice a week and lift weights to get in shape to prepare for a season,” said Thomas Do, a senior on the track team.
Since March, everything has been optional and not mandatory since we cannot force anyone to workout currently from home. This factor alone is big because now our athletes are forced to make a decision of whether they want to take it easy or if they want to improve. “Self-discipline kicks in and this will separate those players that want to play at a high level from those players that just want to be a part of a team.” Mr. Herrera added.
The loss of sports isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as we see how coaches and students have come together and put in that extra bit of effort for when they do return to compete.