NBA cryptocurrancy finds niche

Frankie Wang and Danny Zhu, Staff Writers

With the dogecoin going up over 600% in value within the last month, you might want to also know about another new form of cryptocurrency, NFTs. So what are NFTs exactly? NFTs are non-fungible tokens which are digital collectibles of images and videos that are each unique and interchangeable with one another, unlike Bitcoin and Ethereum. They can also be thought of as certificates of ownership of a virtual or physical asset.

One form of NFT you might want to consider investing in would be NBA Topshot. Each collectible here shows a basketball highlight from the NBA. This might seem like a fun way of collecting, but some of these prices might blow your mind – a Lebron James card has already sold for more than $200,000. Last month, the company made $500 million in revenue and has captured the attention of the famous NBA superstar Michael Jordan by his investment of over $300 million.

As the popularity of Topshot has increased, a few Mark Keppel students have been able to capitalize on this opportunity and turn a couple of dollars into hundreds and even thousands. Arnold Wong, a senior, says he has invested around $400 in NBA Topshop at the start of the year. What was the outcome? Over the course of 5 months, his account has increased well over $7,000. Now you might think that this is some form of gambling or there is a skill you need to possess to be able to do this. However, it really is completely safe to say that you will profit if you only purchase packs. Each pack you purchase gives you cards that will guarantee your money back. Of course, there’s a lot of luck to pull the rarest of cards, but even if you pull the 3 cheapest cards out of the cheapest pack, you will profit.

Overall, we believe that the MKHS community can use this opportunity to make some extra cash while learning the new world of cryptocurrencies.