Breaking News- Mass Shooting in Monterey Park- Three Blocks From Keppel on Garvey and Garfield

Around 10:20 p.m. on Saturday night, shots were reported near 122 W Garvey Ave. This directly followed Monterey Park’s Lunar New Year Festival on that street, which concluded at 9 p.m. The location is only minutes away from Mark Keppel High School, with many students residing in the area around the scene of the crime.

According to police, the shooting took place at a dance studio, with 10 reported dead- 5 males and 5 females- at the scene, and another 10 in various conditions. The 10 victims are confirmed to be ages 50 and older. As of 5:30 p.m., January 22, seven were hospitalized. The following day, an individual reportedly passed away at the LA County-USC Medical Center (LA+USC) where they were being treated for their injuries. This is the 11th death connected to the shooting. Another is in serious condition at LA+USC while two others are recovering.

As Monterey Park Police arrived at Star Dance Studio, they reported people screaming and fleeing the building with victims in the parking lot. As they continued into the building, more victims were found. At this time, multiple agencies are covering this case, including the governor’s Office of Emergencies and the FBI.

Helicopters and police have since locked down the area. The Aztec received a comment from Nate Teeraniti, a MKHS student who was nearby during the event. “I was walking down Garvey towards Atlantic Boulevard and calling my friend when I saw six police cars pull into the lot where the Bank of America and Asian supermarket were,” he said. “I didn’t hear any of the gunshots or at least didn’t register them to be gunshots.”

On the same night, there were reports of a second scene in Alhambra, at Lai Lai Ballroom and Studio, which officials are investigating. An Asian suspect walked into the dance studio approximately 20 minutes after the mass shooting at MPK had occurred. The man was armed, but two community members disarmed the suspect.  Brandon Tsay, one of the individuals who wrestled the gun away from the man, recalls struggling in the lobby and “trying to use [his] elbows to separate the gun away from him.” The suspect then reportedly fled the scene in the same white cargo van that investigators have considered a vehicle of interest.

At 11:39 a.m. the following morning, police cornered a white cargo van which investigators believed contained the suspect at the intersection of Sepulveda and Hawthorne in Torrance, a city in California approximately 35 minutes away from Monterey Park. The standoff lasted for over two hours, with the van in question surrounded by BearCat vehicles and drones. Police heard a gunshot coming from within the van. Upon entering, they discovered a handgun and a body slumped forward in the driver’s seat. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. He is confirmed to have committed suicide by a self-inflicted gun wound.

The man in the van has officially been identified as 72-year-old Huu Can Tran, the suspect of the mass shooting. At this time, the motive is still unclear. Homicide detectives are investigating whether the deceased may have had personal connections to the victims, as well as his criminal and mental health history. In the most recent update, Sheriff Robert Luna stated that Tran was previously arrested in 1990.

The van was searched, and police uncovered several pieces of evidence linking Tran to both the Monterey Park and Alhambra incidents.

Five briefings have been given to the media thus far, the first around 3:45 a.m. Sheriff Luna held three press conferences, one at approximately 8 a.m., another at 12:28 p.m., and the last one of the day at 5:22 p.m. The following day at approximately 3 p.m., officials gave a further update at the LA Hall of Justice.

The weapon that the police collected from the Alhambra incident is confirmed to be a magazine-fed semi-automatic assault pistol with an extended large-capacity magazine. This firearm is an assault weapon under state law and is believed to be illegal to obtain in California. Upon investigation, there were several modifications made to the Mac-10 Tran possessed. 

Investigators then began a search of Tran’s house, where they discovered a .308 caliber rifle, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, and materials that suggested that Tran was building homemade suppressors for his firearms.

This is one of the worst shootings in modern LA history, being the first since the 2008 Covina Christmas Massacre. This incident is the 33rd mass shooting in the United States this year, and it is the largest mass shooting since the Uvalde School Shooting just a few months ago.

Monterey Park’s population is 65% Asian American according to the latest census data. This tragedy took place on Lunar New Year, an important and highly celebrated time in East and South East Asian culture.

Though the shooter’s motive remains unclear, many originally speculated that the act of terrorism was racially motivated. Several community members who knew Tran have come forward, and other possibilities regarding the suspect’s motives have since come to light.

Chester Chong, a community source, noted that the suspect’s wife was frequently invited to dance events, but not the suspect himself. Chong speculates that jealousy may be a possible motive for the crime. At this time, the shooter’s motive is still being investigated, and it is not confirmed whether jealousy or relationships may have influenced Tran’s actions. A few weeks earlier on January 7 and 9, Tran had made visits to his local police department in Hemet where he accused his family members of previous fraud, theft, and poisoning involvement. Officials are still investigating whether the shooting was premeditated.

Shang-Chi and Kim’s Convenience actor, Simu Liu, tweeted about the situation, explaining his thoughts on the matter as an Asian American.

As tens of thousands of families gathered in Monterey Park to celebrate the Lunar New Year, with positive thoughts for the new year, 20 members of the community were shot. The second night of the Lunar New Year Festival has been officially cancelled as of last night to respect the dead, and to ensure the safety of other members of the community.

Mayor of Alhambra Sasha Renee Perez shares condolences via Twitter.

As of 6 a.m. PST, President Biden has been briefed on the mass shooting, reported by the White House Press Secretary.

George Takei, actor and activist, speaks on the Monterey Park shooting.

Currently, a shelter-in-place order is not in effect. A victim resource center has been set up at Langley Senior Center at 400 W Emerson Ave to provide psychological services and assist loved ones with locating victims and survivors. Police are still in the process of identifying all victims and interviewing witnesses at the MPK and Alhambra locations. At this moment, there is no evidence that the suspect was related to any of the victims.

A community candlelight vigil to honor the victims of the mass shooting was held on January 23 at Monterey Park City Hall, where a memorial has been set up, at 7 p.m. Another will be held by the city of Monterey Park tonight, January 24 at Monterey Park City Hall at 5:30 p.m. “Compassion in SGV,” an all-volunteer organization that supports San Gabriel Valley communities, will hold a candlelight vigil on January 25 at 6 p.m. Candle-lighting will begin at 6:30 p.m. President Biden has also ordered the flag of the United States to be flown at half-staff until sunset of January 26 out of respect for the victims.

Sheriff Luna advises the community to stay safe but continue life as normal, as echoed by others on the response team. The Aztec News would similarly like to advise all students, staff, and families of MKHS and the city to be advised and stay safe.

Congresswoman Judy Chu offered words of comfort in the latest press conference. “Feel safe. You are no longer in danger because the shooter is gone,” she reassured before going on to praise the community for its resilience.

In a letter from AUSD superintendent Denise Jaramillo, families were advised to offer their support to loved ones, as well as to those affected by the shooting. Additionally, parents and guardians were provided with suggestions on how to approach the topic of gun violence with their children in “age-appropriate ways.”

A follow-up letter containing more resources is expected to come within the next few days. Grief counseling will be available at all AUSD campuses when students return to school on Tuesday, January 24, 2023.

The police department is asking the community for any additional information at this time. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s-Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500 or CRIME-STOPPERS at 800-222-8477.

This is still a developing story; the information here may not be the most accurate or up-to-date. The Aztec will continue to report on this story as it unfolds.