Rain! Rain! Go Away!

California has endured years of drastic drought, but the past weeks of rain have appeared to modify the state’s weather pattern. Only a few days have been cloudy during the past three weeks of continuous rain. There was more than just a little drizzle; there were also thunderstorms and torrential rain. These prompted flooding and power disruptions instead of California’s usual drought-like characteristics. Although this torrential rain is undoubtedly beneficial for California, which has been suffering from a severe drought for many years, it also causes a plethora of issues in the already beleaguered state. The climate has only been fluctuating between extremes, ranging from an intense drought and depleted lakes to an overwhelming amount of rain. And this devastating rain, which has damaged multitudinous regions of California, has been dated to be an unfavorable event to begin in 2023.
The storms, which have continued despite a recent seasonal dip in rainfall, are causing flooding and contributing to a build-up in floodwater that is dangerously high in some areas. Reservoirs in California are overflowing, flooding inhabited areas as well, and a slew of evacuations have been performed. When a massive downpour hit Northern California, the water level surged quickly, triggering widespread floods. From San Francisco to Half Moon Bay to Fremont and Oakland, this resulted in road closures, mudslides, and extensive flooding. Moreover, several locals were compelled to leave their houses. Northern California saw 5.46″ of rainfall on December 31st, 2022, making it the second-wettest day in recorded history after November 5th, 1994, which has been 170 years.
Furthermore, flood warnings in California had been in effect for more than 4.5 million residents. “Flood warnings had been issued across the Bay Area and Central Valley, including in Mendocino, Napa, Marin, Sonoma, Sacramento, Merced and Fresno counties.” It’s not just the reservoirs that are flooding, but also the state’s rivers and washouts, creeks, and streets. The floods have caused a lot of damage in California, with some of the cities being left with no power or water as a result. According to the Washington Post, “More than 90,000 customers were without power Monday evening in Northern and Central California. Damage to power infrastructure had to be repaired, caused by strong winds in recent days.” On top of that, consider the homeless people who might have been residing out there. Strong winds could have caused trees to fall over, taking their lives as well as endangering others. Indeed, it is a shame how expeditiously 2022 ended.
The rainstorms that have washed over California are being used as an illustration of how climate change might alter weather patterns. Climate change can cause the oceans to warm and lead to the formation of atmospheric rivers, which are situated over the Pacific Ocean, increasing the likelihood of flooding in some locations. This atmospheric river is occurring because anomalous ocean currents have caused a slight cooling of the Pacific Ocean’s waters. While this may alleviate California’s current drought and boost agricultural output, these severe storms seem to cause more disruption than they do benefits. “While increased precipitation can replenish water supplies and support agriculture, intense storms can damage property, cause loss of life and population displacement, and temporarily disrupt essential services such as transportation, telecommunications, energy, and water supplies,” says Epa. Many individuals in California are now pondering how they would cope if there was another storm comparable to this one.
Schools should also be canceled on such days to prevent any further conflict. The usage of umbrellas won’t offer much protection because they can’t hold off the heavy rain and torrential downpour. Students are more susceptible to the disease on these rainy days. It’s better to simply cancel classes for a predetermined number of days than to risk the health of students and staff. Why can’t we, the Alhambra Unified School District, cancel classes for the protection of our students too when districts like Sacramento City Unified School District and Elk Grove Unified School gave out warnings and canceled classes? Based on the New York Times, “The Sacramento and Stockton school districts canceled classes on Monday because of lingering power outages and bad weather. The state is being hit by a family of atmospheric rivers — huge plumes of water vapor in the sky — in rapid succession.” Expecting students to arrive at school amid such intense storms would conclude in them getting soaked and leaving the hallways more puddled than ever. Nobody would be focused in class if they were preoccupied with concerns about getting through the hallways and how they will get home as the students stumble and stomp all over the place. Schools should be closed on these inclement days to take these safety precautions.
In general, harsh weather struck Californians fairly unexpectedly, causing innumerable people to evacuate the region. Whether it has a substantial influence on a specific school or not, it should nonetheless be closed to minimize any potential conflicts. While rain does help California cope with its drought, excessive amounts of it claim countless homes and devastate the lives of many in the process.