The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Hurricane Hillary Aftermath

Rapid change has come, due to Hurricane Hilary. Hilary has reached Category 4 and caused many natural disasters all across Southern California, Mexico and other states on the south side.

Excessive rainfall, flash flooding, mudslides and high speed winds were promised this past weekend, and Hurricane Hilary delivered. In the worst areas of the storm, the water could range from a foot tall to even reaching waist height, knocking power in many parts of LA, Palm Springs, etc. Even the police lines in Palm Springs were out for several hours. Though Hilary had lost much of its power, it was still expected to pour a year’s worth of rainfall in parts of Long Beach.

While the occurrence of a hurricane is tremendously rare, they have transpired in the past. For the first time, the National Hurricane Center issued a Tropical Storm Watch in California. We have been caught in the path of Hurricane Norman in 1978 and El Cordonazo in 1939, but this recent hurricane has taken residents by storm. Not only were there incredible amounts of rain, but a 5.1 magnitude earthquake even struck Ventura County.

Though thankfully it seems the worst of the storm has passed us as of Monday afternoon, the hurricane is still expected to continue through Southern California, northwest Arizona, Nevada, Southwest Utah, Idaho, and southwest Washington.