The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

New York Fashion Week

New York Fashion Week is a bi-annual event occurring in February and September with a series of runway shows in order to present various designers’ collections. New York Fashion Week was ongoing from September 7 to September 13, 2023. Of the collections shown in the nearly week-long show, the most recurring and fashionable trends were red, leather, bows, metallic sequins, and long black dresses. In the span of five days that the NYFW took place, there were precisely 75 shows that occurred.

Many celebrities, influencers, and stylists attended, but it’s controversial whether influencers are helping or hurting the event. Some viewers might say they weren’t dressed the right way and ruined the integrity of the event. This led to the question if influencers should be invited. However, they were able to capture and share content from the show which created a more accessible and inclusive place for the audience. 

The show started with the Coach collection showcasing a series of knitted dresses, coats, denim silhouettes, and edgy leather. It was off to a simple start. With our world’s ecosystem today, Coach specifically found a way to be resourceful. They reused their legacy of crafting outerwear from dumped leather scraps and designing footwear from used Coach bags. Many of the ongoing trends also seem to be a flashback to the 2000s reliving the style it was back in the day. 

One of the most exotic outfits that walked the runway of New York Fashion Week 2023, was the “Fishnet Met”. These stunning outfits were made with fishnets, and the idea for its comeback comes from the icons who wore them in popular shows such as Gossip Girl. Fishnets were being worn as sleeves, leggings, socks, and so on in the 1920s but its 2023 comeback shows off fishnet-made dresses, tops, and bike shorts. 

Oversized hats were also showcased, which included knitted wool, pillowy, or leather hats. Many designers tried their hand at these statement headpieces. Additional, trendy statement pieces were boob decor for women, trumpet sleeves, and hooded dresses. However, the biggest take of the show was the metallic sequin detailing of the garments. Glitter, shimmer, and bizarre colors are found on each of the models. It gave off the early 2000s from the audiences and artists’ reactions to their work. Many pieces and trends such as skinny ties, baggy jeans, and flashing bold colors were popular and will continue to come back. 

To conclude, this September’s New York Fashion Week was adventurous and intriguing. They might look “insane” to the outside to others, but designers are sharing their creativity through the industry. Through these various designs, the audience was able to connect and travel back in time to this event.