The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Mark Keppel’s Theatre Company Does it Again with Little Women

Photo by Kailia Garfield
From left to right: Jo (Reyna Padillo), Amy (Cheyanne Tongas), Meg (Chloe Chung), and Beth (Malia Murga), in awe at their neighbor, Lori’s (Anthony Porras), giant house.

Mark Keppel’s Theatre Company will be performing the play, Little Women, this upcoming Wednesday through Friday (October 18th to October 20th) in the auditorium. On Wednesday, the show will begin at 4 p.m. and tickets will be sold for $5 at the door. On Thursday and Friday, the show will begin at 7 p.m. The tickets for the show on Thursday and Friday can be bought in advance through the Student Bank or online (mkhstheatrecompany.com) for $10 or purchased at the door for $15. The play will last approximately 2 hours including intermission. 

The play, Little Women, is based on the novel written by Louisa May Alcott in 1868. The story is set during the Civil War and tells the story of the March sisters: Meg, Jo Beth, and Amy. It is a coming-of-age story that focuses on the sisters’ growth as they all learn from their mistakes and improve on their flaws. 

In describing the play, Ms. Phillips (production director) stated, “Little Women is a timeless, beautifully crafted novel and we hope this play adaptation does it justice. The issues the women in the play deal with are very similar to the issues women still deal with today.” 

With a stage crew practicing every minute they can and amazing actors and actresses on set, the play is sure to be outstanding. The March sisters will be played by Reyna Padillo (Senior) who plays Jo, Chloe Chung (Senior) who plays Meg, Malia Murga (Freshman) who plays Beth, and Cheyanne Tongas (Sophomore) who plays Amy. Additionally, Kaitlyn Cao (Senior) who played Wednesday last year is coming back again as Marmee, the mother of the March sisters.

They have a wonderful chemistry on set, acting with all the same teasing and adoration real sisters would have towards one another; it feels as if they are actually their characters. The flow and storytelling that they create through their acting are riveting and capture the book amazingly. Make sure to go see one of the shows and be astonished by the hard work and talent that was put into producing it.

From left to right: Amy (Cheyanne Tongas), Jo (Reyna Padillo), Marmee (Kaitlyn Cao), Beth (Malia Murga), and Meg (Chloe Chung) looking at the letter their father sent from the frontlines of the Civil War.
(Photo by Kailia Garfield)
View Comments (2)