The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Hell on Hellman

When Peter Khuong –Mark Keppel’s first-ever crossing guard– initially asked to be transferred within 3 months of starting his new job, he set a precedent for highlighting the severe traffic corruption taking place outside of our school. 

The corner between Hellman and Rural, while only covering a small stretch of space, is used by hundreds of kids every day walking in and out of school in the morning and the afternoons. While Khuong is given the seemingly easy task of holding up a sign and signaling to drivers when to let the kids cross, he is instead burdened with the severe responsibility of ensuring the kids’ safety. Instead, a common trend Khuong is noticing is that these drivers themselves cannot understand these “simple” signs that he gives them and refuse to stop in the crosswalk when required, do not stop when Khuong is standing in the street with his stop sign so he can usher students to safety, and make illegal left-hand turns onto Hellman which endangers students, Khuong, and other drivers. 

Ironically, Khuong’s life has been made hellish. Coming back to a place where he once shared cherished memories as a former Keppel student, and excited to partake in his two boys’ school community who are current Keppel students, he has instead been permeated with thoughts of overwhelming concern for his and the students safety. 

Parents are not only exhibiting rude behavior in their violent road rage but are exemplifying gross misconduct and disrespect to an institution dedicated to helping students grow. However, Khuong has recently revoked his decision to be transferred, as his passion for helping the students trumps that of dealing with parent’s unacceptable behavior. That isn’t to say that Khong has fully overcome his fear of being hit as it still remains with him while he continues his job daily. 

Several intense incidents have even called upon the support of motor officers to interfere when the parents would get too out of hand. Sean Ayala, an officer, has even supported these calls for improvements as he and the other officers remain firm in their mission to educate the parents. These parents are not going to get off so easily next time as strict enforcement is a promised punishment to those who decide to not toe this line.