The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Echos of a Beloved Friend: Navigating the Loss of Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry was most known for his role, Chandler Bing, on the American hit show Friends. However, unexpectedly on October 28, Perry passed away. His sudden death was a tragedy, and many of his dear loved ones and fans were truly upset. Perry’s death is still under investigation; the cause of death hasn’t been identified, but it is believed that he had drowned due to being found unresponsive in the hot tub of his own home. 

Perry was “a true comedian that never failed to put a smile on me,” said Jennifer Aniston, on the James Corden Show for the Friends cast’s comeback. His castmates, Lisa Kudrow, David Schwimmer, Courteney Cox, Matt LeBlanc, and Jennifer Aniston expressed their devastation from the death of their coworker, best friend, and castmate through Twitter and Instagram, writing heartfelt messages. Fans blasted the media with comments and posts about their love for Perry. Many fans made honorable mentions of the famous Chandler Bing scenes of the show Friends. Others expressed how Perry was a remarkable character they could relate to in ways many couldn’t understand. 

The cast of Friends recently posted heartfelt messages for Perry in honor of his passing. Each post contained pictures of their bond with Perry, which truly broke the audience’s hearts. A few die-hard fans of Perry brought up the fact that in his book, Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir, Perry mentions how he is most known for his role on the American hit show Friends, but wanted to be remembered as more than that. “I would like to be remembered as somebody who lived well, loved well, was a seeker,” Perry said. “And his paramount thing is that he wants to help people. That’s what I want.” Perry had made publicly known of his alcohol and drug abuse problems in his career and it meant more if the public knew what he had done to overcome the issues of his addiction. Although he was still an addict, he had done a lot to help others he’d met along the way to succeed and overcome the issue.