The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Monterey Park Strong: 1 year later

A year after the horrific mass shooting that killed eleven people, the City of Monterey Park hosted a candlelight vigil commemorating those who were lost and showing support for those who are still harmed by it.

On January 21, 2023, a mass shooting occurred in Star Ballroom Dance Studio, killing eleven people and wounding nine others. The shooter then moved to Lai Lai Ballroom & Studio in Alhambra, where he was disarmed and stopped by Brandon Tsay. The shooter, Huu Can Tran, died by suicide in the back of a van the next day after a standoff. 

Monterey Park continues to move on with the eleven victims of this mass shooting in their hearts: Valentino Marcus Alvero, Mymy Nhan, Hongying Jian, Diana Tom, Yu-Lun Kao, Muoi Dai Ung, Lilian Li, Chia Ling Yau, Wen-Tau Yu, Ming Wei Ma, and Xiujuan Yu. During the vigil, their friends and family were able to share their memories of them and how the shooting affected them. Many speakers at the vigil also made a moving call for stricter gun laws as they work to ensure no other community has to face the same tragedy they have. 

Tsay, the hero that disarmed the shooter, stated, “Today is not just solely about looking back and understanding the sorrow, it is looking forward to recognize that there is an incredible spirit that has been displayed in our community…Together we are not just victims, we are a community of heroes that thrives from a brighter and safer future without gun violence.” 

As the vigil was held, there were booths surrounding the area offering services such as candlesticks, written notes, wishing trees, and therapy dogs. Additionally, before the vigil, there was a panel of federal, state, and local officials as well as leaders of multiple non-profits speaking to uplift the community and sharing the work they have done to combat gun violence. Monterey Park’s community will never forget about this tragic event, but they have shown strength and unity in the face of grief and will continue to heal and move forward into the new year. 

Resources: 

• Suicide and Crisis Hotline: 988
  • Teen Line: 310-855-4673
  • Friendship Line (crisis line for people aged 60+ and adults with disabilities): 888-670-1360
  • MPK Hope Resiliency Center at Sierra Vista Park: https://www.mpkhope.com/
  • Monterey Park Community Healing Fund: 
  • Drop-In Wellness Check-Ins and Services at Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library on Wednesdays and Fridays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. 
  • Counseling and Services at Langley Senior Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.