The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Rigged Realities of the NFL

The National Football League, a pillar of American sports culture, portrays an image of fair competition and athletic prowess. However, beneath the glory of victory and glamour lies irrefutable evidence that the NFL is rigged. Over many years, more and more irrefutable evidence to prove this theory has been discovered, and though the NFL displays a fair and sportsman-like nature, this does not seem to be the case.

Firstly, the NFL is a colossal business empire and it is mainly driven by profits. Owners, sponsors, and broadcasters have significant influence and may be able to control the narrative and outcomes to make the most money. Due to high-paying television deals and million-dollar endorsements, the pressure to maintain ratings and lots of streams often is more important than fair play.

Secondly, because sports can be so unpredictable, it provides a valid cover for rigged or unfair outcomes. While football may seem impossible to rig due to its complex game mechanics, the sport is perfect when it comes to manipulation.  Referees’ calls, vague game rules, and game strategies create opportunities for small and subtle changes that alter game outcomes in favor of those who stand to benefit the most.

In this world of secret deals and hidden agendas, the world of the NFL operates in a shady zone. Behind closed doors, secret plans and under-the-table deals can change and manipulate the plot of the league. From draft selections to playoff games, influential and powerful people pull the strings to create storylines that captivate audiences and sustain fan viewership, regardless of “fair play” or “honesty.”

In the end, the NFL’s rigged setup betrays the very idea of fair play. To fans, it’s time to see the truth. The NFL isn’t just a game, it’s a show carefully designed to entertain and make money, no matter the cost to the sport’s integrity. Only when we see through the illusions can we bring back the real spirit of sportsmanship. Critics usually deny these claims of rigging as conspiracy theories, citing the league’s regulations and officials. The league’s carefully crafted image as a fair and fun organization masks its true nature, making fans and media believe it’s all about the game. But behind the scenes, it’s about money and power, not fairness and fun.