The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Melting POINT? Or Melting your HEART?

Instead of eating ice cream in this upcoming hot weather, this album, “Melting Point”, by ZEROBASEONE would perform impeccably, melting away your heart into the summer. This album, which is ZEROBASEONE’s 2nd mini album, made its debut on November 6, by WakeOne that consists of five songs. With “Crush” serving as the lead single, the other four are “Melting Point,” “Good Night,” “Take My Hand,” and “Kidz Zone.” 

Through months of commitment and effort, ZEROBASEONE (ZB1), a nine-member K-pop group, was finally able to be formed on July 10, 2023, through the Mnet Survival Show, known as Boys Planet. This outstanding group consists of Sung Han Bin, Kim Ji Woong, Zhang Hao, Seok Matthew, Kim Tae Rae, She Quanrui (Ricky), Kim Gyu Vin, Park Gun Wook, and Han Yu Jin. The significant meaning behind their group name indicates a glorious beginning for the nine members who started as zero and ended with one, which means they are completed as one. 

In regards to the physical album, “Melting Point” includes three versions: Mystery, Loyalty, and Fairytale. There is a CD with a tracklist, allowing listeners to put the CD on record players to listen. Additionally, each version includes its own version of a photobook, a CD envelope, a postcard, two photocards, a paper mobile, a lucky charm, a message card, a folded poster, a keyring, and a Bak Bak Gift. Compared to many other albums, this album itself has many inclusions and is reasonable for the price, which ranges from $16 to $30. If one is lucky enough, that lucky individual can receive a handwritten postcard from the artist. 

“Crush” sets as the lead song of this album; it features many drum and brass instruments. The song is summarized as an upbeat, hip-pop, and powerful song. It is used to show ZB1‘s commitment to move toward their next stop. While being able to showcase their high technique in dancing, this song also allows them to show their strength in their vocals, by highlighting the members’ high notes. The music video mostly incorporates dark elements including their attire and surroundings. Fans’ comments on this song were that parts of the song were impressive, but the chorus didn’t make it to the best. However, it just requires some time for listeners to enjoy and accept it. 

Taking the lead after “Crush” is yet again, another hot feature, “Melting Point.” Just like what the title suggests, this song has melted away many listeners’ hearts, with the beautiful vocals of the nine members. Upon the initial listen of this song, there have been abundant controversies about this song, saying it is either too boring or has too few instruments. However, as listeners increased, many started enjoying this song, and this song serves as a sun to their daily lives now, brightening up many fans’ days. This song has a perfect balance of hip-hop and calm, which will not overwhelm the listeners. If you’re heartbroken or need a ray of sunshine in your life, this song is perfect to heal your innermost emotions. 

Now, moving after “Melting Point,” is the song “Take My Hand.” This song is one of the most liked out of all the songs in the album. From the instrumental features, such as drums, to the beautiful melody of the song, this song is perfect. Not only is the song itself beautiful, but the lyrics also contribute a huge part to the beauty of this song. ZB1 did a remarkable job in adding lyrics that include a variety of imagery, and it feels as if the song is transporting the listeners to the world ZB1 is singing about. Moreso, the lyrics convey a feeling of freedom, excitement, and happiness to the listeners. “Take My Hand” is perfect when you’re with your family, your friends, or your significant other; it’s the perfect song under any circumstance that will bring you immediate joy. 

The second to last song in the album is, “Kidz Zone,” a high-beat song that elicits instant happiness from the first hearing. To many people, this song is healing their inner childhood as the song is about everyone gathering together on a playground and playing. While listening, this song brings a nostalgic feeling to listeners who didn’t get to experience their full childhood. Again, this song has many controversies from fans because it was not three minutes, and there was so much more space for the producers to add more ideas. Nonetheless, here’s some advice from this song: “Shout out all you want, sing pop, rock or dance—And dance the night away” Ricky, Zhanghao, and Hanbin sing. 

The last song in the album is, “Good Night,” a song that outshines the rest because it’s the only song in the album that is a slow melody song. To many fans, this song is a wish from all the members for everyone to have a good night. For ZB1, it is a greeting song as a gift to the fans who always support them. This song gives a feeling of warmth for the listeners who are feeling lonely to have comfort with its lyrics, “I wish you a good night.” This song is especially great for you to listen to when you’re having trouble sleeping because ZB1’s heavenly vocals will immediately put you to sleep. 

“I loved every song on the album, they were all so fun to listen to, especially “Take My Hand,” it was my favorite,” Lillian Ni, a junior at Mark Keppel says.

From the beat to the lyrics to the meaning, everything about this album is perfect. The first listen to the songs may seem a little doubtful, but as you listen more, you will fall in love with this album. Again, it will surely melt your heart away. Grab some snacks, do your homework, go work out, take a nap, or just anything in general, and put this playlist beside you; it will boost your mood straightway.