The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Northshore High Comes to MKHS

By Samantha Rios

MKHS Theatre Company brings Northshore High to the Mark Keppel stage with lots of funny scenes and addicting songs. Students were allowed to watch and play out the musical “Mean Girls”, a story that tells the tale of Cady Heron, played by senior Reyna Padillo, and her run-ins with “The Plastics” when she moves from being homeschooled in Africa to an American public school. Padillo says she relates to the character on a personal level, having moved a lot in her childhood, along with finding a tight group of friends. Padillo sings songs in the musical such as “Stupid With Love” but says her favorite is “More is Better” because of the emotional rawness of the scene. 

Throughout the musical, watchers can see the difference in how people present themselves and their inner dialogues, struggles with identity, social standing, and insecurities,  realizing that being “plastic” isn’t everything. Other characters, such as Janis Ian played by senior Megan Garibay, bring up the balance between resistance to social structures and the harm revenge can cause. Garibay says the song “I’d Rather Be Me” is stuck in her head nonstop. The song has a powerful message with lines such as “I’d rather be me than be with you, We’re supposed to all be ladies, and be all nurturing and care, is that really fair?” Although the Musical covers the tough realities of teens (especially girls) the entire musical is filled with hilarious moments and lines.