The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Coffee On Wheels: Keppel’s Coffee Club

Mark Keppel’s lineup of exciting clubs just added a brand new one to their list – Coffee Club! Coffee Club is run by Keppel’s Special Education teacher Stephanie Hardy. The club launched just this month, with some students participating. Students are welcome to join this club, and help out with their activities. One major activity that the club has is handing out coffee in the mornings to teachers in need of a fresh cup of joe. Unfortunately for students who might be interested in receiving a coffee delivery, these coffee deliveries are exclusively for teachers. 

If coffee isn’t your thing, fret not, they also deliver tea. In the mornings on block schedule days, you might find students from the special day class pushing a hot cart of coffee or tea around the hallways, with a helper or two. Teachers can purchase a ticket entitling them to some coffee or tea delivered by one of Hardy’s students. Although deliveries are not open to students, they may join the club and help participate in the process of delivering the coffee with Hardy’s students. 

“I’m excited to give out coffee and see everyone [and] say hi to everyone, and go for a walk,” said Keppel junior, Tavis Ma, one of the students in the special day class. . 

The new club provides an opportunity for Special Education students to interact with general education students and teachers and allows the general education population to see that neurodivergent differences don’t keep us apart.

Students who are part of the special education classrooms don’t see many other students or teachers in the building as there classes run on a different schedule, so the Coffee Club gives them an opportunity to mingle with the rest of the population and potentially even make new friends around the school. That being said, if you see them in action, feel free to wave and smile as they walk by. 

“I am looking forward to [this] coffee cart as far as my students learning how to operate a small business, and for the general education students seeing how to operate a small business,” Hardy said.