MKHS Alliance Hosts its Annual Fear the Spear 5k Event

Picture courtesy of Ryan Wong

Sarah Byun

After a two year hiatus, the MKHS Alliance returned with their annual Fear the Spear 5k on April 23, 2022. The event was planned by a committee consisting of Roselyn Chin as Chair, Co-Chairs Rachel Le and Allyson Suzuki, Outreach Coordinator Sarah Byun, Activities Coordinator Celine Kusuma, Webmaster Selina Zhang, and Volunteer Coordinator Haley Wu under the guidance of Alliance President, Sharon Woo. 

Photo courtesy of Ryan Wong

The race commenced with an opening ceremony in which the Mark Keppel Aztec Band performed the Star-Spangled Banner. Following the performance, several notable speakers made speeches, including Allyson Suzuki (Alliance Vice President), Roselyn Chin (Event Chairperson), Rachel Le (Event Co-Chair), Principal Guiterriez and Adele Andrade-Stadler (Alhambra Vice Mayor). 

The race resulted in four categories of competition, with the winners as following: Adult Female: Andre York (1st), Bonnie Yu (2nd), Kimmie Ng (3rd); Adult Male: Tin Tran (1st), Julio Meganes-Catalan (2nd), Bernard Jin (3rd); Student Female: Kyra Kim (1st), Isabella Vazquez (2nd), Hannah Dao (3rd); Student Male: Daniel Huang (1st), Elvin Yang (1st), Timothy Wang (3rd). 

Upon the race’s completion, attendees participated in raffles and watched performances by Mark Keppel Aztec Band and Color Guard. Attendees were also given the chance to purchase concessions from Fluff Ice and plumerias from PTSA. 

Picture Courtesy of Katie Phan MKHS Colorguard end their exhilarating performance at the 5K.

The Mark Keppel Alliance is a non-profit organization that advocates for Mark Keppel High School and fundraises in order to enhance the students’ education and engagement. Their mission is to raise money to support academics and sports programs that the school district cannot fund. All of the proceeds from this event will be allocated towards student sports, programs, and educational needs. 

Alliance Vice President Allyson Suzuki remarks, “This event was extremely successful, thanks in part to all of the generous sponsors, donors, and volunteers who helped make the 5K possible. This event is extremely important as 100% of the proceeds will be going back to supporting the students of MKHS. After being in quarantine for the past two years, it was really great to see our community come together as a whole to support Alliance in its mission to provide service to our school.”