The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

College Admissions Rejections

As the college admission process comes to an end and Mark Keppel High School’s seniors approach the end of high school, and whatever the future has in store for them, whether it is college, trade school, the work field, or something else entirely, two Aztec News writers share their perspectives on the feeling of rejection in terms of admissions, Nicole Chan, senior, and Jesua Flores, junior.

Nicole’s Perspective (senior):

College admissions are possibly one of the most detrimental days I have ever and will ever experience. I’m not sure how it is for others, but as someone raised in an academically motivated environment, it’s a make-it-or-break-it thing.

Like many others, I have been raised being taught the notion that working hard in school and maintaining good grades will get me into a “good” college and therefore a “good” job in the future. As a result of this mindset, I have high expectations for myself, especially concerning the path that I determined for myself a long time ago; however, with high expectations comes harsher disappointment.

Although I consider myself a decently well-rounded student in Mark Keppel, I did not get into most of my schools. I am grateful for the schools I have gotten into but it doesn’t make me feel any less disappointed and many of my peers feel the same way. As a senior who has experienced this process, I have come to the understanding, but am still working on processing, that these results do not define who I am as a person, my efforts, or my abilities. It is the decisions that I make that eventually matter, there are infinite opportunities anywhere if only you know how to take advantage of them.

Looking back, I don’t regret anything. The college admission process can be infuriatingly inconsistent and unfair, therefore there is no definite way of telling where someone went wrong or did something right. If I were to give advice to a freshman coming into Keppel, I would say to take things less seriously. Grades, clubs, extracurriculars aren’t everything. As much as you want for something to happen, it doesn’t guarantee that it will, therefore don’t waste your time pretending that you can bend every odd.

As long as you try your best, that is all that matters in the long run, what isn’t within your control is not your responsibility. Everything will work out, even if it takes a long while. Each win and setback will be worth it in the long run.I still believe in the Great Perhaps and I wish everyone the best of luck in navigating theirs.  

Jesua’s Perspective (junior):

College acceptance has been extremely hard on my senior friends. As a junior, I don’t feel their stress as much, since it’s not my time yet. However, as a junior, hearing a lot about rejections and acceptances, it makes me worry about how my outcome will turn out.

As many people know, the chances of not getting accepted into the school of your choice is still extremely high, regardless of your grades and no matter how many clubs and how much volunteer work you do.

Some of the smartest people I know have received disappointing news that they didn’t want to  read when opening their emails. After hearing about  how stressful this process has been for the seniors, I will admit I do feel a sense of pressure to succeed, because I grew up thinking if I didn’t get into a “good” school, it would be harder to have a “good” career.

However I’m learning so much more during this time and although I am already stressed about college applications, I know regardless of my status with schools, at the end of the day life goes on and college isn’t the most important thing in the world. So many people succeed with or without it anyway.