The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Student Voices are heard Loud and Clear?!

For the first time, the Alhambra Unified School District (AUSD) has welcomed students to join their board as Student Board of Education Members. Justin Wang, a senior at Alhambra High School will serve as the student board member for the year of 2023 to 2024 with Mark Keppel High School’s very own Kaitlyn Cao (Senior) as the alternate student board member. They are assisted by a Student Advisory Council (SAC), consisting of one student from  each grade at  each of the three high schools. From Alhambra High School (AHS) the SAC consists of Justin Wang (12), Arely Lovato (11), Keiko Rakin (10), and Leslie Chu (9). From San Gabriel High School there is Mindy Wu (12), Yingjie Liang (11), Jasmine Sung (10), and Kevin Tang (9). Finally, Mark Keppel’s SAC consists of Kaitlyn Cao (12), Madison Kang (11), Rueben Wu (10), and Angelina Yip (9). 

Every month the Student Board Members convene with district advisors and the superintendents  to decide on the topics they plan to discuss in their monthly meeting with the Student Advisory Council. Together with the SAC, they work to create solutions and policies about issues they notice at their schools.  Then, the Student Board Members will be able to present these ideas to the Board of Education. As the Student Board of Education Member, Wang attends and votes at board meetings as well as represents the Alhambra Unified School District in certain events. Cao, as the Alternate Student Board of Education Member will fill in for Wang whenever he is unable to attend a board meeting. 

Wang revealed that his focus as the Student Board Member is to increase environmental awareness in AUSD, reduce plastic wastes in schools, and give more opportunities and resources to the Latino and Hispanic communities in our district. Cao said her focus is on mental health policies as well as creating a stable position and role for future Student Board of Education Members. 

If you’re inspired by Cao and Wang’s dedication to their school districts and are interested in participating in the board of education, you can apply for next year. Here is a timeline of the process both Student Board Members had to undergo in order to reach their positions:

• April 26, 2023: An introductory video and fact sheet was shared with students in San Gabriel, Alhambra, and Mark Keppel High School. The AUSD Board of Education also made use of websites, the AUSD newsletter, and social media to advertise the position opening. 
  • May 15 – 19, 2023: Each school held elections to choose representatives from each grade for the Student Advisory Council. 
  • June 2023: The Student Advisory Council underwent two days of leadership training. Following the training, SAC members interested in becoming the Student Board Member submitted a self-nomination video and statement describing themselves and their qualifications. The other SAC members used the videos, statements, and their two day training to vote. The person with the most votes became the Student Board Member and SAC Chairperson and the runner-up became the Alternate Student Board Member and SAC Vice Chairperson. 
  • August 8, 2023: Student Board Member and Alternate Student Board Member sworn by Assembly member Mike Fong. 
  • August 2023: Incoming freshman from each high school elect a representative for the Student Advisory Council.