The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

National Merit Scholars

Three juniors  at Mark Keppel High School will be participating in the high stakes National Merit Scholars competition to not only earn recognition but college scholarships. Keppel students Kayla Kamei, Austin Chu and Eva Wong have qualified as semifinalists and will continue to advance in this competition.

When asked about how it felt to possibly qualify for the scholarship, Kamei said,  “I think it is exciting, and I would be grateful if I were to be awarded a National Merit Scholarship. However, I am already really thankful to be a semifinalist.” In agreement with Kamei , Eva states that she’s equally as excited and grateful for this opportunity.

Out of 1,300,000 students entering the scholarship program, 7,140 students will be notified as winners of either a National Merit $2500 Scholarship, corporate-sponsored scholarships, or college-sponsored scholarships. Of those students only 740 will obtain special scholarships provided by corporate sponsors. Working to obtain the National Merit Scholarship might sound intimidating and overwhelming to some, however according to the semifinalists it can be worth it for those who are interested.

In her preparation for the exam Wong  stated, “I think in general I study a lot and I like learning, so it wasn’t a ‘sacrifice’ for me or anything to take those SAT practice tests. Also, studying a couple of hours a day for the SAT/PSAT is not going to kill your summer– I still had the time to participate in volunteer work, take a summer class, and hang out with my friends.” Wong comments  that although it is hard work and dedication, if you really are passionate about the program then it is worth your time and  adds that no one should worry about preparing for the exams.

The National Merit Scholarship can serve as an opportunity to help pay for college tuition as well as impact academic honors. 

Kamei said, “I really want to encourage others to take it because it is a great opportunity, and there is no penalty if you aren’t able to score as well as you would have liked. I think it is definitely worth taking, especially because your score could potentially make you eligible for these opportunities.” Her words are very encouraging to students who are interested in this program.

When asked what they would do with the scholarship if they were to get awarded with it, Wong said, “If I do win the scholarship and decide to commit to my college sponsor, I’ll use every last penny to help further my interest in STEM. I absolutely love chemistry and biology, and I’m planning on entering the healthcare field. The scholarship will definitely help alleviate some of my student debt.” 

For these students, Kamei and Wong, the hardest part is already over and all they can do now is wait. But for others in their junior year or lower, it’s possible and extremely encouraged  to take advantage of this great opportunity to achieve greatness in your academic career and perhaps be in the 1% in the program in order to win the National Merit Scholarship.