The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Boycotted Companies

Hewlett-Packard
Siemens
McDonald's
Puma
Sabra

Crisis Boycott

Many people are beginning to boycott major worldwide companies for supporting Israel in its conflict  with the Hamas militant group in Gaza. Which began on October 7 when Hamas launched their attack against Israel killing 1,400 people and kidnapping 200 hostages. But Israel’s reaction to Hamas’s attack has received an immense amount of criticism, with many accusing the country of having committed multiple war crimes against Palestinian civilians. This includes blocking their access to clean fresh water, fuel, food, medical supplies, and other essential resources for their survival. They are also indiscriminately targeting refugee camps, hospitals, and other locations in Gaza currently holding refugees further endangering their lives. This has led to the divisive movement known as Boycotts, Divestments, and Sanctions, or BDS, to start boycotting major companies who were either supporting or being complicit in supporting Israel as punishment towards them.

But what is BDS exactly? According to their official website BDS is a global, peaceful protest movement that was founded in 2005. They have been using non-violent methods such as boycotts against any Israeli companies or goods and international companies or goods that they consider complicit to Israel’s actions. They even ask supporters to avoid any Israeli cultural institutes, universities, and academics that paint a pro-Israel picture of their occupation of Gaza. Additionally, they encourage banks, pension funds, and councils to stop all of their current or future investments into the entire Israeli economy. Finally, they also use sanction campaigns in an attempt to convince world governments. They do this to stop providing any type of support that would allow Israel to continue their discrimination against Palstinians. This includes military aid, free-trade movements, and membership to international groups such as the United Nations to Israel. 

These methods are all a part of their efforts to force Israel to end their controversial occupation of the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem, and recognize the rights of all Palestinians that live in the occupied areas and the nation itself as equal citizens. Along with returning all of the land they’ve been accused of stealing from the Palestinian people since their occupation began in 1948. Although BDS has often compared their mission for peace to the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa, they also receive many critics who claim that the organization is harming Palestinians through the deterioration of the Israeli economy that many of those citizens are a part of.  Additionally, groups like the Anti-Defamation League have accused the movement of being anti-semitic and wanting the dismantlement of the whole Israel state. However, the majority of Jewish people have condemned the Israel government and support the cause for Palestinian rights. 

Overall, the movement of BDS is seen as a divisive movement among many people. It’s been condemned by the majority of US states and the nation of Israel itself. Major companies like Ben and Jerry’s have been able to be convinced to stop selling their products in occupied Palestinian territories. Meanwhile Orange, a French telecom company, completely ended their business partnership with Israel due to the movement. While BDS has been a major movement during the conflict, it has been speculated that the organization will not be able to make a huge impact due to its controversial goals and its lack of power in comparison to the capitalistic companies and governments they are boycotting against.