The Student News Site of Mark Keppel High School

The Aztec

The Aztec

The Aztec

Guts Album Review

September 8th marks the grand release of Olivia Rodrigo’s 2nd studio album, GUTS.” 20-year-old Olivia Isabel Rodrigo makes a comeback with 12 songs after her 2021 debut album, SOUR”. According to Rolling Stone, Olivia claims that “the album is about the confusion that comes with becoming a young adult.” The compilation of songs are focused on more pop/rock elements that were produced by Olivia herself, and her record producer, Dan Nigro. Compared to her debut album, she claimed on the Morning Mash Up that GUTS” would be a happier album, with more rock elements compared to “SOUR”.

According to Google users, 95 percent of people have liked the album, as it reached 4.3 stars since its release. As stated by Spotify, the album has a total of 917,625,799 streams, and these numbers are still progressing. GUTS” covered album charts in 12 different countries. The album’s lead single, Vampire, gained the most recognition as opposed to the other songs. It also charted first on Billboard 200 and top 40 of the Hot 100. In the United States, the album successfully sold over 302,000 copies and was #1 in many countries like Britain, Canada, and Australia.

The word “guts” can be taken in many forms, such as bravery and instinct. This is what inspired Olivia to name the album GUTS;” furthermore, it also has four letters and is capitalized like her first album, “SOUR.” The lyrics in each song show the disappointment and emotional damage that Olivia faced as important people in her life let her down. In an interview with Apple Music 1, Rodrigo says “Figuring out your place in the world and who you want to be is very important.” The biggest takeaway from her songs is that she mainly explores adulthood and faces conflicts with romantic relationships and media expectations. 

Many praised Olivia for her work and were impressed with each and every song. Numerous reviewers and magazines like Rolling Stone and The New York Times said that the album was a classic and the lyrics hold a lot of wit and wisdom for a 20 year old. However, other viewers had a different opinion on the album. Many fans were disappointed at the long awaited comeback by saying it was a “copy and paste” of her debut album. The audience claimed that GUTS” was about her complaining about an ex-boyfriend who treated her unwell and left her heartbroken, similar to SOUR.” Viewers overlooked her work in many different ways and formulated different types of judgment. 

Her world tour will begin on February 23, 2024 and end on August 17, 2024. Considering the reviews, the album had sparked diverse reactions and opinions on Rodrigo’s work. Despite these reviews, she has gained recognition as a talented singer. Alongside many other astonishing albums that were released, Olivia’s success as a young artist continues to rise. Hopefully, we will be able to see more of Olivia Rodrigo during her tour and get more music from her in the future.